Murder On The Orient Express Red carpet London Premiere
Thursday 2nd November
A lavish train ride unfolds into a stylish & suspenseful mystery. From the novel by Agatha Christie, Murder on the Orient Express tells of thirteen stranded strangers & one man's race to solve the puzzle before the murderer strikes again.
- In real life there was one actual murder on The Orient Express. Maria Farcasanu was robbed and murdered by Karl Strasser, who pushed her out of the moving train, one year after Agatha Christie's book was published. Also, in 1950, Simon Karpe disappeared from the train under suspicious circumstances involving espionage; some elements inspired Ian Fleming's From Russia with Love.
- Michelle Pfeiffer described the making of the film as "deceptively challenging" due to the nature of the period and the language used during that era.
- This is Kenneth Branagh's second movie shot on 65mm film, the first one was Hamlet (1996).
- Angelina Jolie was originally attached to the project in the role of Mrs. Hubbard, but dropped out. Charlize Theron was also courted for the role, but in the end, Michelle Pfeiffer was cast.
- Fox head Stacey Snider broke off negotiations with Angelina Jolie after several months due to her insistence on significant script changes on what was a relatively small part.
- In between filming, Josh Gad "interrogated" an annoyed Daisy Ridley several times in an attempt to get her to answer his questions about Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017), filming the reactions with his smartphone. Several actors and cast members took part in it, including Judi Dench, Penélope Cruz, Chris Pratt and The Force Awakens director J.J. Abrams. These hilarious videos can be found on Gad's Facebook and Instagram.
- Penélope Cruz's character is named Greta Ohlsson and is of Swedish descent in the original novel. The new name chosen for the character (Pilar Estravados) is taken from Agatha Christie's 1938 novel 'Hercule Poirot's Christmas'.
- Leslie Odom Jr.'s character, Arbuthnot, is a colonel in the army in the original novel; here his character is a doctor, replacing Dr. Constantine from the novel.
- The story was inspired partly by an incident in 1929 when the Orient Express was trapped in a blizzard in Çerkezköy, Turkey, where it was marooned for six days! Two years later Christie was involved in a similar scenario when she was travelling on the Orient Express and the train got stuck for a period of time due to heavy rainfall and flooding, which washed part of the track away.
- The story was partly inspired by the Charles A. Lindbergh kidnapping case, in which Lindbergh's 20-month old son was taken and held for a $50,000 ransom. The ransom was paid, but unfortunately Lindbergh's son was never returned.
- The film's cast includes two Oscar winners: Judi Dench and Penélope Cruz; and four Oscar nominees: Kenneth Branagh, Willem Dafoe, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Johnny Depp.
- Regarded as one of Agatha Christie 's greatest achievements, Le crime de l'Orient-Express (2017) was first published as a novel in 1934.
- Manuel Garcia-Rulfo's character (Marquez) is named Foscarelli in the original novel.
- In 2004, Michelle Pfeiffer was going to star in another Agatha Christie adaptation, namely "Witness for the Prosecution". The film's script was written by her husband, David E. Kelley. This was a remake of the Billy Wilder film Witness for the Prosecution (1957). Pfeiffer was going to play the role of Christine Vole, previously played by Marlene Dietrich.
- This will be Johnny Depp and Penélope Cruz's third collaboration since Blow (2001) and Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011). Judi Dench had a cameo feature in POTC: On Stranger Tides.
- Murder on the Orient Express happened in todays Croatia. Near town of Vinkovci.
- Kenneth Branagh previously directed and starred with Derek Jacobi in Henry V (1989), Dead Again (1991) and Hamlet (1996). Branagh also directed Jacobi in Cinderella (2015), in which he did not appear.
- The very first publication of the story was in a six-installment serialisation in the Saturday Evening Post in 1933 in the US, under the title, Murder on the Calais Coach.
- This will be Michelle Pfeiffer and Johnny Depp's first collaboration since Dark Shadows (2012).
- Daisy Ridley's character was previously played by Vanessa Redgrave, who is the mother-in-law of Liam Neeson who, like Ridley, has appeared in the Star Wars films.
murder on the orient express cast
Princess Natalia Dragomiroff
Countess Helena Andrenyi
Count Ruldoph Andrenyi
Let us know What you think