The Whale London Film Premiere 2022
A reclusive English teacher living with severe obesity attempts to reconnect with his estranged teenage daughter for one last chance at redemption.
The Whale London Premieres BFI LFF GALA
- Status: Confirmed
- Date:October 11, 2022
- Location: Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall, London
- Attended by: Brendan Fraser, Hong Chau, Sadie Sink, Ty Simpkins, Samantha Morton
- Release in Cinemas: 2022-12-09
- Runtime: 117 minutes
Planning to attend the film premiere? Find more information regarding tickets, wristbands the times usually the premieres are taking place at London Film Premieres
- Following its debut screening at the Venice Film Festival, both the movie and lead actor, Brendan Fraser, were given a six minute standing ovation; a moment, caught on camera, that brought Fraser to tears.
- At the 2022 Venice Film Festival, Darren Aronofsky said that it took him ten years to cast this film. Casting Charlie was a huge challenge until he saw a trailer for the Brazilian film Journey to the End of the Night (2006) staring Brendan Fraser, where it "clicked" for the Director who would later cast Fraser as lead.
- Because of his character's severe weight, Brendon Fraser had to don a heavy prosthetic suit for the role that he wore for hours. He told members of the media in attendance at the Venice International Film Festival (via Variety), "I developed muscles I did not know I had. I even felt a sense of vertigo at the end of the day when all the appliances were removed; it was like stepping off the dock onto a boat in Venice. That [sense of] undulating. It gave me appreciation for those whose bodies are similar. You need to be an incredibly strong person, mentally and physically, to inhabit that physical being."
- Based on a theatrical play of the same name.